Issue 92 | July 5, 2016 | Do you have what it takes?
"The human individual lives usually far within his limits. Compared with what we ought to be, we are only half awake."
"Grit is that 'extra something' that separates the most successful people from the rest. It's the passion, perseverance, and stamina that we must channel in order to stick with our dreams until they become a reality."
During the high school years as students progress quickly, or not so much, toward graduation requirements, you might have wondered what matters most: talent, intelligence or determination. In Angela Duckworth's book Grit, the Power of Passion and Perseverance, the author has convinced me beyond a doubt that grit matters most. During this last graduation season, we celebrated with a student who graduated against all odds. Shear grit is the only explanation. In the book Grit, Ms. Duckworth presents a questionnaire she developed that many of you might find helpful.
Not at all
1. New ideas and projects sometimes distract me fromprevious ones.
|2. Setbacks don't discourage me. I don't give up easily.||1||2||3||4||5|
|3. I often set a goal but later choose to pursue a different one.||5||4||3||2||1|
|4. I am a hard worker.||1||2||3||4||5|
5. I have difficulty maintaining my focus on projects that takemore than a few months to complete.
|6. I finish whatever I begin.||1||2||3||4||5|
|7. My interests change from year to year||5||4||3||2||1|
8. I am diligent. I never give up.
9. I have been obsessed with a certain idea or project for ashort time but later lost interest.
10. I have overcome setbacks to conquer an importantchallenge.
|2.5||means you are "grittier" than||10%||of the sample adults|
|3.0||means you are "grittier" than||20%||of the sample adults|
|3.3||means you are "grittier" than||30%||of the sample adults|
|3.5||means you are "grittier" than||40%||of the sample adults|
|3.8||means you are "grittier" than||50%||of the sample adults|
|3.9||means you are "grittier" than||60%||of the sample adults|
|4.1||means you are "grittier" than||70%||of the sample adults|
|4.3||means you are "grittier" than||80%||of the sample adults|
|4.5||means you are "grittier" than||90%||of the sample adults|
|4.7||means you are "grittier" than||95%||of the sample adults|
|4.9||means you are "grittier" than||98%||of the sample adults|
- I can count on my parents to help me out if I have a problem.
- My parents spend time just talking to me.
- My parents and I do things together that are fun.
- My parents believe that I have a right to my own point of view.
- My parents respect my privacy.
- My parents give me a lot of freedom.
- My parents really expect me to follow family rules.
- My parents expect me to do my best even when it's hard.
- Things will turn out OK whether I work or not.
- Everything should be entertaining and / or enjoyable, and there should be no unpleasantness whatsoever.
- Nothing I do at school will ever benefit me.